Sunday, June 2, 2019

Cat, Class, Country



I am watching less news.  On CNN,  as I write here I learn that Kim Jon Un has offed a few of his own dignitaries.  How many madmen in the world have access to nuclear weapons?  I listen to audiobooks, mostly novels, having given up, at least temporarily, Pod Save America and NPR.  Spurts of political action revive the optimism stoked by the 2018 elections.  I am numb now to outrage.  The weather is beautiful.  The semester is winding down and we are testing. 

I pilot a new and almost cruelly long listening test.  The instructions are confusing.  Most of my students bomb.  I am permitted to administer, for promotional purposes, an alternative listening test that I developed with a colleague.  I pass out the Scantrons and the three pencil sharpeners in my room whirr.  I start the CD for the test and when it starts, I realize that there is a booklet that accompanies the CD which I have neglected to bring from the office.

My stupidity relegates me to having to cram the writing and listening test into a single night.  I am embarrassed to pass out the cheesy assed clip art, 20th generation photocopies writing test.  One has the picture of a family.  The students are to write seven questions.  What is the man reading?  How old is the baby?  Is she washing the dishes?  There’s a picture of a park on the other side for writing seven sentences.  The boy is riding a bike.  The girl is running.  There are three trees.  I spend a lot of time teaching them to use question marks and start a sentence with a capital letter, which bores the more educated students and is inadequate for those who haven’t been to school. 

Most of the students produce something, often in a childish hand and always in pencil, intelligible enough, to pass the writing test.  We are going from trimester to semester and having done the math, I am surprised that no one at my school is freaking out.  Currently there are ESL Levels A and B and students are tested for promotion to the next level at the end of thirteen weeks.  Now, there will be only one level, taught over the course of a 20-week semester.  This is a six-week reduction in classroom time per level.  We have yet to address what competencies are to be are to be excised from our course outlines.  When I return in the fall my evening class will begin as the equivalent of what we now call 1A.  I have never taught this before.  Also, I have a morning class which has students of all different levels, another challenge.

Promoting students is pretty much at the teacher’s discretion.  There are always a handful of social promotions of low literacy students who’ve repeated the class a couple of times and worked their butts off.  Usually, the test results pretty much confirm my gut feelings about promoting a student or requiring a redo.     With this crop of students, knowing that if they aren’t sent to level 2, they will be doomed to start from scratch at the very beginning of the first level is a complication.  It’s a difficult call, knowing that those who are not promoted are likely to be stultified rehashing the very basics and then ultimately drop out.  But those who aren’t quite ready for the second level will likely struggle with the inevitably accelerated pace.

I eschew the district created speaking test.  Students are supposed to perform a number of commands.  “Pick up the pencil.”  Then they are to issue similar commands to a partner.  “Give me the book.  Then they look at a crummy clip art picture of a school hall to describe.  I cannot bear it and in order to assess their ability to converse, they are to tell me three things about themselves that I don’t know and then ask me a question.

Despite the near constant reminder on Spanish TV and radio of the hateful climate immigrants face, most of them express gratitude and satisfaction at living in the U.S.  I never ask but I know that a handful of them are here legally.  There are even a few citizens.  Most of them, even the engineer from Guatemala who now details cars, are thankful to be here.  A few have kids in college. Felix tells me about his family business in Chiapas, making pineapple empanadas. Gilberto helps coach his daughter’s soccer team.  They recently won a tournament in Las Vegas.  Elena, an elementary school teacher in El Salvador, cleans houses in Manhattan Beach.  She is grateful that her employers are kind and treat her like family. 

Mariella asks me what I worry about.  “My children,” I confess.  Even though they are full-fledged adults, unless they are on my premises, there is always an undercurrent of concern for their well-being.  Eva asks me what I wish for.  I tell her that I wish Trump were in prison and that a new administration would create an amnesty program, like the one in the 1980s, for the undocumented.  She proudly announces that she is studying for the citizenship test, but she knows that most of her classmates aren’t this fortunate. 

The last week begins.  There will be a rush of make-up tests and a promotional ceremony.  I will bake something, make certificates of achievement for attendance, persistence and leadership.  The students get a colored clip every night they attend, which they will exchange on the last night of school for cheap crap from the Dollar Tree and Oriental Trading. 

I will attend a week of training for a morning summer school course I’ll be teaching.  A new trend is to teach occupational skills in conjunction with ESL.  I am conducting the ESL portion of a Medical Technology course.  We will be making 3D models of the digestive system and learning to take our pulse.  I work with teachers from other schools who are teaching the same course, planning lessons and selecting materials.  I dread these meetings as most of the mandatory meetings provide nothing that couldn’t be stated in a two-sentence e-mail.  These planning sessions are satisfying though.  I am fortunate enough to be with a group of really committed teachers who truly aspire to make the four-week summer school session as rewarding as possible.

Theoretically, this vocational training, coupled with ESL, is, I think, an excellent idea.  Unfortunately, without legal status, a number of students are not employable in the fields we provide training for.  I likely won’t be eligible to teach summer school again in 2020 and I hope, like in 2018, I’ll be able to throw myself into effectuating a more compassionate and competent government.

I am still doing costly battle with the city regarding our Echo Park cottage, but the nightmare tenant is gone, and my business occupies the upstairs and Spuds lives in the lower unit.  As Spuds is a Dodger fan, being an easy walk from the stadium is an extra bonus for him.  He works in the garden and makes small repairs.  He walks down to Echo Park Lake and reads and writes.  When I admit a repair man, I am astounded that he keeps the little apartment neat as a pin.  I imagine a couple more months of wrangling with the city but certainly the worst is over, and the little house Is happily occupied.

At first, the adjustment to my own home office is a bit difficult.  I feel indolent working all day in a nightgown, or sweatpants.  I’m in the groove now. Being able to enjoy Larry’s kittenhood is certainly a huge bonus.  My office is in the basement.  I sequester myself there when there are some workers in the house.  I caution them to be very careful not to let the kitten out.  I emerge from my basement office when they leave and there is no Larry to be found.  I scour the house and drive through the neighborhood like a madwoman.  I call Spuds, hysterically and get him to come continue the search when I have to leave for school.  He too examines every inch of the house and stomps around the hills calling for Larry.  I arrive at school immobilized by grief.  We’ve been plagued the last few years with a number of cat-tastrophes and I wonder why the universe seems out to deprive me of a kitten to love.  The teacher next door comforts me and brings me a Starbucks.  During the break, there is a text from Spuds that Larry has ambled into the living room.  He’d been sleeping somewhere in the house apparently.  Cats are so much better hiders than we are seekers.  Larry knocks everything off my nightstand, walks on my face in the middle of the night and has destroyed four sets of headphones but my heart swells with love when the little thing curls up, purring under my chin.

My walking partner admits that when we walk up a particularly steep hill, she imagines that she’s being pursued by Nazis.  I think sometimes about 1930s Berlin and Café Society.  Jews made art and attended the opera, imagining I suppose that the madness would blow over.  The 2018 election was certainly a good omen that the madness will end but the current draconian abortion measures being passed in the south and the ascendance of fascism around the planet makes me wonder if I’m as out of touch as European Jews in the 1930s. 

But despair is fruitless and depriving myself of small pleasures will not make for a more compassionate society.  For the sake of my sanity, I am somewhat less engaged with the daily outrages.  I remember that writing postcards until my hand ached and pounding on trailer park doors in Orange County, along with thousands of others who channeled their outrage into action, was as gratifying as anything I can remember.  I’m going to enjoy Larry the kitten as he enters cat-olescence and order another big box of postcards. 




No comments: