Sunday, January 27, 2019

On Death and Footwear



The subject of comfortable shoes dominates much of my recent conversation with friends. Shortly, I will be eligible to collect Social Security payments.  It will be eight years until I’m eligible for the maximum.  Another one of life’s crapshoots, wagering if you’ll die at such a time so as to have received the maximum benefit. 

I grow fussier and fussier around the house.  Partially because most of my office is now relocated to the basement and I will be spending a lot more time there.  But mainly because I am turning into my mother.   My sister looked like my mother, but I never saw my own resemblance.  My sister’s daughter looks more like me.  Suddenly, I look in the mirror and I see my mother’s face.  I feel resentment when someone uses my cooking shears and doesn’t replace them.  I fantasize about reorganizing my Tupperware cupboard and plan to actually tackle the job this weekend.  When I’ve organized a space, for a few days I check back in on it to revel in my satisfaction. 

My mother often responded to my ill fortunes with “God punished you.”   And now that I’ve virtually morphed into her, I think it may be true. I’ve grown now into a number of her traits that I’d so disdained.  My tidying jags often come as a response to feeling out of control.  Our recent legal nightmare and giving up working in a real office for the first time in my adult life is unsettling.  My physical space is the only place where I have a sense of control.  I’ll tackle the cleaning supplies shelf when I finish the Tupperware.  Now that I understand how cleaning and organizing compensates for a sense of powerlessness, my heart aches for my mother and the fastidious home on Fulton Avenue.

The strike ends with a 3% retro raise.  After six unpaid nights, I’ll just about break even.  The atmosphere at school is sunny.  The administration’s posted a “Welcome back teachers!” sign and my colleagues have unusual pep in their steps.  I seem to have lost about ten students which is disappointing but also makes it way easier to teach.

We finish the unit on shopping and money.  I print out ads from Super King, Food4Less and Smart and Final and give them a list of questions which require some very simple math and price comparing.  I often try to tip them off to my bargain shopping finds at the Grocery Outlet and the Dollar Store.  The twenty something men do not find this as thrilling as I do.  But the moms take careful notes. 

I have a classroom assistant, the seventeen-year-old daughter of one of the ladies.  Jessica attends an inner-city high school and, as the first in her family to graduate from high school, she is waiting for college acceptance letters.  She’s already gained admittance to Cal State Dominquez Hills but is hoping for a U.C.  Her mother is very conflicted about her living in a dorm and she’s applied only to public universities within an hour of Los Angeles.  No private or out of state colleges are recommended to her.   She has visited, and been daunted by, the UCLA campus but hasn’t set foot on any of the other half a dozen schools that she’s applied to.  She’s successfully completed a number of AP classes.  Jessica, helping the students with their comparison-shopping project, asks me how to pronounce “shrimp.” 

I cannot help but think about the different experiences of my own spawn.  A liberal arts degree was always inevitable.  My privileged white sons grew up in a house full of (way too many, ahem…) books.  We went to art museums, the theater and Buzzcocks concerts. Jessica helps her 6th grade educated mom with a worksheet.  I assume she’s been translating for her for most of her life.  My children are now great sources of comfort and support for me now.  But, as children, outside of the electronic realm, they never navigated my world.  Jessica wants to be a nurse or a teacher.  My children grew up with books and movies and music.  But the seed of empathy was planted early on in Jessica.  I have to teach her to say “shrimp,” but her character building has started early, and this is a gift as meaningful, if not more meaningful, as dinner table debates about Radiohead’s best album or whether Tennessee Williams is overrated.

Spuds comes and goes.  The only evidence of his presence is lights on in unoccupied rooms, lack of beer and a cast iron pan left soaking in the sink.  He’s lived in NY for five years and I just trusted that he was ok.  Now that he’s home and staying out late at night and navigating L.A. traffic with a manual transmission and driving a 20’ truck full of David Hockney paintings around the city, I find myself fretting.  I try to keep my mouth shut and not bug him too much.  Unlike my own mom, or at least as I recall, I preface my micromanagement with the acknowledgement that I am probably being real annoying. 

I set Spuds up to apprentice for a fellow teacher who does fine woodworking.  After their first meeting I get a note from the furniture maker that notes Spuds’ smarts and poise.  When he finishes at the woodshop, Spuds stops by my office and moves five hundred films downstairs.  He’s worked five long days in a row but tackles the film schlepping without complaint. Later, he and his girlfriend meet us for a screening of a colleague’s experimental film.  There are people that he hasn’t seen for years.  He is jaunty, hugging folks and introducing his girlfriend to old friends.

Number One Son calls.  I will never not have a moment of panic when the kids call instead of text but my elder has gotten into the habit of calling, just to see how I am.  My friend Richard is gone now for over three years.  I don’t think that anyone else in my life has ever phoned just to see how I am.  I remember feeling angry, frustrated and resentful of my mother.  I did make sure that she was comfortable in her final years, but I don’t remember if I ever called just to see how she was.  When I offended her, she would warn me that I’d be wracked by guilt when she died.  She was correct, but perhaps to a lesser extent than she’d imagined.  I hope that when I die my kids will miss me but also, fill with pride at how rich they make my life.


No comments: