Saturday, September 15, 2018

Return to the Owl House



Limbo time, although Himself explains that they're over condemning babies to damnation and have therefore eschewed limbo. My own limbo is of course figurative although if the afterlife is not as I imagine it, who knows if there might not be a little damnation in store? I tread water for the first of the empty nest years. I experience a morass and nothing is as meaningful and satisfying as the kids' presence. Returning to teaching certainly has upped the purposefulness ante but this is just a beginning step in making the pieces fall together for the rest of our lives.

A frustrating and expensive nine month effort to evict a tenant who's gone off her meds actually raises our consciousness as to the many merits of returning to our little cottage ourselves, if we finally manage to evict the problem. Because of it's resemblance to an illustration in Winnie the Pooh, the kids took to calling it the Owl House. When we moved to Mount Washington we'd said that when we were old and gray and the kids flew the coop we'd return. It seemed a lifetime away at the time. Here we are. And it seems too that my teaching hours will increase as I transition away for my business. I think that these massive changes will ultimately result in a simpler life of less stuff, less debt and less work. Getting from here to there is so daunting though that it's hard to even think about it.

I am pleased that so many old friends share their memories of the little house on the walk. It's been 27 years since we moved away. I weep when I tell the kids that we're abandoning the only home they'd ever known. Dismantling and selling my own childhood home was heartbreaking. My earliest memory is a naugahyde loveseat with a sort of atomic hourglass pattern. The human interactions were fraught and sometimes vicious there, but to me, the house was always beautiful and if I were able to draw, I could, I'm sure, capture even the smallest details.

My kids acknowledge their wistfulness about losing the place where they were infants, kids and then young men. But to my surprise, instead of posing alternatives to giving up their home, they are supportive. Both recount that many of their friends' parents have downsized with salubrious results. Spuds is going to try and return home for a couple of months to help pack us up and gently compel his father to part with a garage full of books. This would mean giving up a good job that he likes and I am staggered at how easily he proffers this sacrifice. “I would love spending the time with you guys,” he counters. I know that my parents loved me and I loved them too. Still do. It is difficult though, I admit with shame, to remember an instance where spending time with them was more pleasure than obligation.

I clung to the house on Fulton Avenue as it was perhaps a physical representation of a place conducive to a happy family-hood that I longed for, but never really existed there. We hung in. There was no nasty divorce. No stepparents or Saturday only Dad. I did better. But this is because despite my (long forgiven, children of the depression) parents' shortcomings, they did what they knew how to do. I went to college. I travelled. My father left me a business. My mother helped me buy the little house that now seems to be the lynchpin for a life of greater comfort and ease.

-->
Downsizing means parting with a lot of things that have sentimental significance. I did this with my mother's home and now take on my own. I love the home I've made and cherish the memories of decades of friends and family and the parade of pets. But my childhood home was a place marker for a family like I saw on TV. I will indeed be sad to leave my present home. I've never lived anywhere longer. But it is really just a house and not a representation of the trappings of a happy family. I have the real McCoy.  

No comments: